Downsides of Hiring A Divorce Attorney
Hiring a divorce attorney can be expensive and has several potential disadvantages, including:
- Cost: Divorce proceedings can be expensive, especially when hiring an attorney. Legal fees, court costs, and other expenses can add up quickly.
- Length of the Process: Hiring an attorney can make the divorce process longer, as negotiations and court proceedings may take longer to resolve.
- Emotional Toll: Going through a divorce can be an emotional and stressful experience. Hiring an attorney can make the process more contentious, as each party may have different opinions on property division, support, and other issues.
- Limited Control: When you hire an attorney, you are essentially giving up control of the process to them. Your attorney will make decisions on your behalf and you may not have the final say in some important decisions.
- No Guaranteed Outcome: Despite the best efforts of your attorney, there is no guarantee that you will get the outcome you desire in your divorce case. The outcome of the case may depend on the specific circumstances, the court’s ruling, and other factors.
It is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of hiring a divorce attorney before deciding. If you have questions or concerns about the divorce process, it may be helpful to consult with an attorney to discuss your options.
Choose Montgomery, Kelley, & Dennett
The State of Virginia recognizes four types of fault-based divorces; adultery or sodomy, cruelty and reasonable apprehension of bodily harm, willful desertion, or abandonment; and conviction of a felony by either party after the marriage and confinement for more than one year. If the parties have children, a no-fault divorce is since the parties have lived separate and apart for more than one year. If the parties enter into a Property Settlement Agreement and there are no children involved, they can file for a divorce after six months.
Here at Montgomery, Kelley & Dennett we pride ourselves on providing world class legal services to each client we serve. We look forward to serving you and all your legal needs in the Williamsburg, James City, New Kent, Yorktown & Hampton areas. Call Now! 757.229.8284