The Different Types of Child Custody
There are two main types of child custody: legal custody and physical custody.
- Legal custody refers to the right to make major decisions for a child, such as those relating to education, health care, and religion.
- Physical custody refers to where a child lives and who is responsible for the child’s day-to-day care.
Child Custody Arrangements
In addition, there are several forms of custody arrangements:
- Sole custody: One parent has both legal and physical custody of the child.
- Joint custody: Both parents share legal custody of the child and have a say in major decisions. Physical custody may be split between the two parents or one parent may have primary physical custody.
- Split custody: When there are multiple children involved, each parent may have custody of one or more children.
- Shared custody: The child splits time between both parents’ homes on a regular schedule.
- Bird’s Nest custody: The child stays in one home while the parents take turns living in the home with the child.
The court may order any combination of these arrangements that is in the best interest of the child.
Montgomery, Kelley & Dennett Can Help!
Here at Montgomery, Kelley & Dennett we pride ourselves on providing world class legal services to each client we serve. We look forward to serving you and all your legal needs in the Williamsburg, James City, New Kent, Yorktown & Hampton areas. Call Now! 757.229.8284