Unable to Reach a Parenting Agreement?

Work Together for the Children

Unfortunately in some divorce proceedings, not all parents are able to reach a parenting agreement on their own and will need to seek the help of a family attorney. In many cases, an out-of-court agreement is impossible to reach. When this is the case, going to court and relying on a judge to determine custody of your child may be your best option. While in court it is important that you are making the best impression on the judge regarding your child custody case.

How You Can Affect Your Child Custody Case

If the custody of your child is dependent upon the decision of a judge, it is important that you know how to approach your child custody case. You will want to keep in mind what things may help or hurt your chances of the case being settled in your favor. Avoid the following actions that could hurt the outcome of your child custody case:

  • Refusing to compromise with the other parent, this demonstrates your unwillingness to support a relationship between the other parent and your child.
  • Speaking ill of the other parent in front of your child.
  • Posting inappropriate material about the other parent on social media;
  • Shirking your parental duties (i.e. missing pick-up times at school);
  • Lying
  • Losing your job
  • Engaging in illegal activity
  • Inappropriately using drugs or alcohol.

Things that can help your child custody case, on the other hand, including being willing to compromise and keeping an open mind, spending as much time as possible with your child, asking teachers or neighbors to provide statements regarding your loving relationship with your child, learning more about Virginia family law, and hiring an experienced Virginia family law attorney to represent you in the court process.

Montgomery Kelley & Dennett are here to help!

Are you in need of legal assistance with your child custody case and live in Hampton, Virginia? At Montgomery, Kelley & Dennett we have decades of combined legal experience to pursue your case.